MOVIE REVIEW: The Host

I'm still remember getting this book as my 14th birthday gift from my friend. I got the Indonesian translation. I'd only managed to read half of it. Why? Because the book was so boring. Too much talking. Nothing was really captivating. Then a year later, I gave it another chance. I reread it and once again, I failed. I couldn't finish the book. Few months later, I saw the English version at my school library which was really surprising. I (once again) gave it another try. I thought maybe if I read the English version I'd have liked it better and maybe I could finish it. Guess what, guys? I didn't finish it. I just couldn't. The book was too boring and I just couldn't stand it. I didn't even give a fuck about the ending and stuff.

When I heard The Host was becoming a movie, I don't know, I just got so excited about it. The movie trailers were good and I thought maybe the movie would be so much better than the book. I was wrong..

***


Earth has been invaded by aliens. They call it, Souls. All the human body are taken by Souls. Only few survivors left, including Melanie Stryder. Unfortunately, she's found by Seeker whom job is too find the survivors. Wanderer who gets Melanie's body as her host, tries to get the location of other survivors. Too bad for Wanderer; Melanie wants to live. Melanie's soul still stays in her body. The journey begins when Melanie force Wanderer to find the location where all the people she loves are staying.

We have Saoirse Ronan as Melanie Stryder. Everybody knows her as Susie Salmon in The Lovely Bones. I love Saoirse Ronan and no doubt her performance in this movie is really great.
I love the movie set. Visually, the movie is really great. The desert, the cave, the town... everything is just beautiful. My eyes were like having an orgasm. The concept of this movie sounds interesting which makes lots of people just curious about this movie. Beware people, it's a trap.

Well, here is the thing. If you imagine this movie as any other Sci-Fi, you're absolutely wrong!
This is no any typical Sci-Fi. This is a romance, a cheesy romance that uses Sci-Fi as it theme. This is Twilight all over again just with a different genre.
I think the plot is just poor. The movie is so different from the book, maybe they're trying to make it better than the book. Trying to take all the details that would probably make the audience bored. Guess what people, they don't success. The movie is still BORING!
The world building is just suck. I mean this is a Sci-Fi, we're talking about aliens that have invaded earth. At least, give the audience the world details. We want action. We want to see how the earth is after Souls have taken it.
But no, everything in this movie is just about Melanie and her love-life. There were several scenes where supposedly to be scenes with suspense and action, but it was all terrible. Not impressive at all.

Whoever wrote the script, I don't like him/her. Why? 
There were a scene where Jared kissed Wanderer. Then, Melanie got angry and she controlled Wanderer's hand to slap Jared. And then Jared went all shock and said, "I knew it. You're there Melanie. You slap me because you're angry I'm kissing Wanderer."
Really? When you kiss a girl, in this case, not longer your lover and she slap you, I don't know.... maybe she just doesn't like it? Because it's rude? But no, Jared make a weird assumption.

Overall, this movie is SUCK. Boring and it's not like what I'd expected. If you're into Twilight Saga, you will definitely love this movie. If you're a true fan of Sci-Fi, I warn you don't watch this movie. You'll hate it and curse Stephenie Meyer just like I did.... ( I tweeted "Thanks Stephenie Meyer for ruining Sci-Fi)

If you're Stephenie Meyer's fans, please don't be mad at me. I'm just writing my opinion based on the truth. I don't like this movie at all.

I give this movie: 1/5



This entry was posted on March 28, 2013 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “MOVIE REVIEW: The Host”

  1. I haven't watched the movie, but I like the book. It's actually better than Twilight Saga. (Yep, the whole series.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the book concept is incredible. Stephenie Meyer could've done better if she wasn't only focus on the teen romance. I agree it's better than Twilight Saga, but I don't think it's a good book. It's just better...

    ReplyDelete