BOOK REVIEW: Shatter Me

HELLO BOOKWORMS! I'm really excited for this book review because I love and hate it at the same time. You might be asking, "How's that even possible?". The answer is simple, there are flaws in this book but there are also good stuff.




SYNOPSIS
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
 

(source: goodreads)


1. The Writing
Okay, this is the first thing I seriously need to talk about. What the hell is wrong with Tahereh Mafi? She uses LOTS/SO MUCH/MANY metaphors... some of them doesn't even make any sense.
Not only metaphor, she uses this kind of writing. This strikethrough thing. I don't know why, I kind of like it actually, but I need to admit, it's a big distraction while I was reading it and my eyes hurt.
The repetition is annoying as well. Annoying annoying annoying. Sometimes it even uses the strikethrough as well.. Annoying annoying annoying annoying.
When I read "Blue blue blue eyes", Bitch, I know his eyes are blue! You don't have to repeat the word blue for like 4 or 5 times.
Don't think those are the only flaws with his writing. There are lots of numbers in this book. The metaphors use number frequently. I don't understand what's wrong with this author, but her writing is kind of suck for me.

2. Plot/Story
I'm a  big fan of dystopian! I've read The Hunger Games trilogy and also Divergent. I thought this is going to be a good dystopian and it is. Regardless her lack skill of writing, the story is quite interesting. Well, it's kind of X-Men for me. I mean, Deadly touch?


Yes, Juliette is like Rogue fro X-Men, but I think Juliette is hotter. Hahahaha....
I love how Mafi brings this mutant thing into the story, it's really interesting. The plot and the story is well-developed. I love how the conflict changing and the tension in this book.... just wow. I can't stop reading it. I love the ending as well, giving us lots of question. Making me want to read the next book even though her writing is still pissing me off.

3. Love Story
Most authors just don't understand the difference between Crush and Love. When you're seventeen years old... and you meet a guy, hot guy, barely know him and been meeting with him like for couple of months, barely talking... and you have some kind of feeling, it calls Crush. In Juliette's case, I call it Crush, Lonely and also horny.
I'm not buying the love story. It's plain stupid. Maybe in Mafi's world and some of her fans world, it's possible for that kind of thing to be happened, but in my world-The Real Life-I'm quite sure it's impossible.
The love story is as stupid as Twilight Saga. It's like "Hey, I just met you and this is crazy but I think I love you, I don't want you to get hurt and F*ck yeah I believe in you... even though I barely know you."

Okay, enough said. This book is great and terrible... I can't find a right word for this book, but I'll definitely going to read the second series, Unravel Me.
At the end, giving it a 3 stars out of 5 is kind of a pain in my ass, but well I love the plot and the story. So yeah, it's kind of worth it.

This entry was posted on January 3, 2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply