BOOK REVIEW: The Fault in Our Stars


(source: pittsburghmagazine.com)

This is a really late review, I know. The Fault in Our Stars by the famous author, John Green; winner of lots of awards. This book was really famous back then on 2012 and won the Best Young Adult Fiction on Goodreads Choice Awards 2012.
I'd originally read this book last year and didn't really like it. I didn't know what was wrong, until I found out this year. The main reason the book wasn't that 'good' for me because I didn't put my attention on this book because it was a busy week when I read this for the first time. Since the movie is coming out later this year on June, I thought 'Well, gotta give this book a second chance and this time no more distraction.'
On my second read, this book is just..... AMAZING! I love this book and I have to say this: the best book I've ever read so far (Let's pretend Harry Potter doesn't exist here).
Yes people this kind of thing happens sometimes. No kidding.

The Fault in Our Stars is a book about a young teenager named Hazel Grace who has terminal thyroid cancer and shitty lungs because like everyone knows, cancer likes to make colonies all over your body once it's caught you.
Her life changes when she meets young Augustus Waters, hot boy in the Support Group for cancer kids that not only has the magnificent blue eyes but also has only one human leg while the other is a fake leg. Why? Well - cancer.
Long story short, they fall in love. And there are a lot more coming. I won't tell you anything more than this because you have to read it by yourselves!

The first thing that I really love about this book is the characters. Hazel Grace is funny, awkward and incredibly smart especially in literature. Guess what, she loves to read which make me feel related to her.
Augustus Waters is just charming and also funny. Funnier than Hazel Grace. Weird in someways but still, cool guy that I wish I could have as my brother or best friend. Well, I know I couldn't since he's.. *CENSORED*

The writing is just amazing. Not too hard for me the poor skilled in English guy. You will laugh, smile, mad, furious, upset, sob and cry. There are lots of emotion in this book that I can't even explain in word.

The plot is as amazing as any other things in this book. The story just moves so fast and caught my breath in so many ways. This book makes cancer teenagers falling in love sounds new and not mainstream.

The thing about book with romance in it, sometimes it gets too romantic. Too much saliva being exchanged (read: making out). Too much dramatic scenes. But not this book. It doesn't mean that this book isn't romantic at all. It is, but it just has the right amount of romantic scenes and the perfect amount of saliva being exchanged. So yeah, it's not the book for those girls who gets excited whenever Isabella Swan making out with either Edward Cullen or Jacob Black. This is a book for people who admires beautifully written book with the love story that you wish you could have; well minus the cancer part.
Thank God there's no love triangle in this book because I've had it enough with Young Adult Fiction's cheesy love triangle! (The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, The Hunger Games - you name it!)

There are lots of emotions in this book. I guarantee you will feel lost and hollow after you finish this book. You will craving for sequel but there will not be a next book. You have to accept this is a stand alone Contemporary Young Adult Fiction. (Does this one count as contemporary? I'm not really sure.)

Okay, maybe I sound a little overreacted but believe me people, I'm not. I love love love this book. The word 'Okay' won't be the same again for me.

If you haven't read it, go to your nearest book stores and buy this freakin' book and finish it in a day! Why? Because you have to! This book is so good, I'm not lying.

If you're Indonesian, please just please don't read the translated version. Why? I'll tell you why.
1. The cover suck!
2. You won't understand what I'm telling you about the writing.... well, because it's translated, duh!
3. It's sucked. Believe me it's sucked.
4. If you don't understand English... Well, there's never too late to learn something new, right? Yes, this book is so good that you need to take English course now just so you can read this amazing book.

Five stars out of Five.
No doubt.
Okay?
Okay.

This entry was posted on January 14, 2014 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply